Thursday, October 6, 2011

Subversive Stitchers Challenge for the Quilts and Dreams Challenge

A 1600 Quilt
(photo from Heirloom Creations blog site).
Seems like a symptom of  'subversive' people is that we march to our own drum, are often loners, not joiners, and like to do things in our own time, following our own way. So I don't organize things or urge you to join in projects.

BUT I have just received an interesting book from American Quilter's Society (AQS) that has finally brought me around to Jelly Rolls.

The book is Jelly Roll Quilt Magic by Kimberly Einmo. It is her second book about quilting with jelly rolls. This time I paid attention. Einmo has included some really lovely projects in traditional styles by cutting jelly rolls into various shapes. Wild geese, stars, etc. Quite beautiful with helpful hints sprinkled generously throughout.

When I mentioned the book on my Subversive Stitchers facebook page, Mary Alice suggested I check out the 1600 quilts and the video produced by Heirloom Creations.

And that's when I fit together Kathy Thompson's ongoing quilt challenge to benefit ALS research and patients with Jelly Roll quilts. One jelly roll would make a 48x64 size 1600 quilt. They go together fast, could be tied rather than quilted if you'd rather, and would make an excellent EXCELLENT quilt for someone with ALS to snuggle under and feel loved.

Quilters Dream Challenge
for ALS

For a tutorial on how to make the 1600 quilts, here's the blog and video site. And for more information about Kathy's ongoing challenge and where to send your quilts, here's her link.

If you'd like, I'd be honored, if you would submit your quilts with your name as part of the Subversive Stitchers: Women Armed with Needles challenge. And if you would send a photo to me, I'd be thrilled to post it here.

Another quilt that makes a great charity quilt is the Disappear Nine Patch which is made even easier using Charm Squares. Here's a tutorial from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. My article for Suite 101 has a little different lay out and more information about making a Disappearing Nine Patch. It takes at least 2 packages of charms plus borders, backing, etc.

Both are fun, fast projects and would certainly brighten up someone's dismal ALS world. I'd be glad to hear if anyone's interested in this little challenge and of course, please send photos!

A big thank you to everyone.

Actually, it doesn't matter what design you use for your quilt -- I just hope you'll contribute to this challenge. You have my unending gratitude.

4 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

I just love your blog -- there is a unique style of writing that captures my interest every time, and I learn so much from each post. I also want to thank you for keeping the photo of my art quilt, "Wallflowers: #5" on your blog -- I'm honored and grateful that you've enjoyed it.

Diane

Lynn said...

I made a quilt for the Hopes and Dreams Challenge. I posted photos of it today on my blog if you would like to see it.

http://alamosaquilter.blogspot.com/2011/10/jelly-roll-1600-quilt-finished.html

Dawn said...

Thanks Lynn, your quilt is so appreciated. And thanks for mentioning Subversive Stitchers on your blog! I hope you never ever ever know what it is to have ALS or lose a loved one to it. If you send me a photo, I'd be honored to post a photo of your quilt here. But I hope others will also check out your blog. Thanks again.

Dawn said...

Diane I adore your flower power quilt. It brightens my day each time I look at it! It just beams hope!